Thursday, July 19, 2012

Try a New Experience

About a year ago I found  myself on the face of a shear rock wall 45 feet above the canyon floor. It was an old rock quarry and my friend Brendan had convinced me I had to try rock climbing. He strapped me in the harness and lowered me down into the quarry. My job, should I choose to accept it, was to climb back up the wall using the small cracks as finger and toe holds. Tom Cruise made this look a lot easier in one of the Mission Impossible movies. 

I learned a lot that day, especially how hard my heart can pound when my feet slip off the wall and I'm holding on by my finger tips. But the most important lesson that Brendan impressed on me was "use your legs." He taught me that too many novices try pulling themselves up the steep cliffs and tire very quickly. "Your legs are much stronger. Push yourself up the cliff." And he was right. 

People speak to me frequently about taking on new challenges and trying new things. I strongly encourage them to do so. Studies show that experiences create much longer lasting and more powerful memories than purchasing things for yourself or others. Instead of heading to the mall on a day off, think of something you'd like to try doing. It will leave a lasting impression. 

Yet, when I speak with people about their attempt at new experiences too often they believe they have to focus on skills they don't have and use them to get through the experience. What I learned on that wall is that, as much as possible, use some of your key skills to get you through new experiences. 

For example, two years ago I signed up for a sprint triathalon. It was a brand new experience for me and the training was very new. However, one of my key strengths is pig-headedness (I'm sure my classmates in Positive Psychology will wonder where this strength is listed). When I decide to do something, I will not give up until I've achieved my goal. So, though there were a bunch of new skills to learn, I just focused on what I do well, practicing everyday, and believed the skills would come into line. They did and it was a great experience.

Life is so short and precious. Why not fill it with new and different experiences to expand the story of your life? But when you do, remember, use the strengths you have developed to help get you there. It is worth the climb. 

No comments: