Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Thumbs Up

I was running on the boardwalk in Asbury Park, New Jersey. Well, not really running, more like a slow jog. I'm trying to get back into running and that day it was not going well. What looked like a beautiful January day with temps in the mid 50s and a crystal clear sky hid a challenge, a constant 12 mph wind.

As I ran into the wind for the first part of my run, I was full of all the complaints about my knees, my back, the chill in the air and especially the wind in my face. Those complaints did not diminish even when I turned and had the 12 mph wind at my back. But as I was moaning and groaning my way back to my start, I picked my head up and saw a challenging sight. An older man (well, he wasn't too much older than me really) was painfully hobb

ling along on a cane. He looked at me running and got a beautiful smile on his face. Then his free hand came up and he gave me a thumbs up as I ran by.

Studies of greatness usually focus on the gold medal winners, nobel prize winners and super elite of the world. Yet in my encounter on the boardwalk I met a great man. He was pushing himself to the edge of his own limitations and was enjoying the moment as he did so. And, as is typical of great individuals, he also lifted me up in the process.

Too often we are held back by what we can't do, rather than celebrating and enjoying what we can do. Not many of us will go down in history, but all of us can change a moment in our life or the life of someone else.

So ask yourself, what are your limits? How often do you push yourself? And when you do push yourself toward you own personal greatness, do you encourage others to do the same? If you have a crutch, do what you can and then share your energy, success, or just your struggle with someone else. Thumbs up.

No comments: